In 2016, Larry King asked Dolly Parton about her support for the LGBTQ+ community.
“If you’re gay, you’re gay. If you’re straight, you’re straight. We are who we are. I don’t believe that we should criticize and judge other people. I think we should be accepting and loving. We are all God’s children.
“If you’re the fine Christian you think you are, why are you judging people? That’s God’s job. We’re not God. We’re not judges. We’re supposed to love one another. We’re not supposed to judge, and we’re not supposed to take vengeance on other people. That’s God’s job.
“You should be allowed to be how you are and who you are.”
GO DOLLY! I have/had had lots of friends along that spectrum, my sister had three girls: one is gay and the other is now a very handsome lad. When the gay girl announced she was marrying her then girlfriend, my dad announced he would not attend the wedding. Russet and I said we would be there, and my mom asked if we would take her. Of course we would!
And my brother, the sympathetic Christian that he was, said he'd like to punch her in the face because if she wanted to be a man in a relationship, she should be able to take a punch. I never knew what he opinion was of the trans nephew.
“If you’re gay, you’re gay. If you’re straight, you’re straight. We are who we are. I don’t believe that we should criticize and judge other people. I think we should be accepting and loving. We are all God’s children.
“If you’re the fine Christian you think you are, why are you judging people? That’s God’s job. We’re not God. We’re not judges. We’re supposed to love one another. We’re not supposed to judge, and we’re not supposed to take vengeance on other people. That’s God’s job.
“You should be allowed to be how you are and who you are.”
GO DOLLY! I have/had had lots of friends along that spectrum, my sister had three girls: one is gay and the other is now a very handsome lad. When the gay girl announced she was marrying her then girlfriend, my dad announced he would not attend the wedding. Russet and I said we would be there, and my mom asked if we would take her. Of course we would!
And my brother, the sympathetic Christian that he was, said he'd like to punch her in the face because if she wanted to be a man in a relationship, she should be able to take a punch. I never knew what he opinion was of the trans nephew.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-26 03:46 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-08-26 04:36 pm (UTC)It can be more than a bit overwhelming.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-26 09:26 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-08-27 04:06 am (UTC)As I said at his funeral, my brother wasn't easy to understand. And while I didn't relate that story as my sister was there, that is a prime example. I don't think he had a solid philosophy or belief system to provide a core.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-27 04:23 am (UTC)I'm really sorry that some of your family is so closed off like that. :(
Hugs, Jon
no subject
Date: 2026-08-27 04:41 am (UTC)I never understood how my brother formed the basis of his Christianity. When he died, while I was working on cleaning out his truck looking for some family items to keep, I came across two bibles. One was a match that my parents gave him and I when we were kids, the other one I didn't recognize. It had a lot of marginalia that he'd written in. I decided to let them be buried with him, that there was nothing for me to gain in trying to understand him better.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-28 03:23 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-08-27 07:01 am (UTC)I shouldn't, but I always do feel sad for people like that. I'm sure they'd be much happier if they just acted the way they're supposed to, ie, cared about people even a smidge.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-29 09:21 am (UTC)Dolly was a treasure.
no subject
Date: 2026-08-29 09:22 pm (UTC)